God of War: Ascension managed less than half of the week one sales than its predecessor God of War III did in 2010, though it's the second-biggest opening for a title in God of War series so far.
Blizzard's StarCraft II expansion Heart of the Swarm finished third, ahead of Namco Bandai's Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 in fourth. The original Sniper never managed a chart finish above eighth.
SimCity dropped to fifth place, ahead of FIFA 13 in sixth.
Far Cry 3 charted seventh, Crysis 3 eighth, Call of Duty: Black Ops II ninth, and The Sims 3: University Life in tenth.
The Top 20 UK charts for the week ending March 16:
1. Tomb Raider
2. God of War: Ascension
3. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
4. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
6. FIFA 13
7. Far Cry 3
8. Crysis 3
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
10. The Sims 3: University Life
11. Assassin's Creed III
12. Hitman Absolution
13. Skylanders Giants
14. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
15. Dead Space 3
16. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
17. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
18. Grand Theft Auto IV
19. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
20. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3