SEATTLE, Washington – January 18, 2007 — PopCap Games, the leading developer and publisher of casual games, today announced that its popular arcade-action game Heavy Weapon is now available on Xbox Live Arcade on the Xbox 360. The new version, titled Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank, features new multiplayer Mission and Survival modes, as well as an all-new "Boss Rush" mode, leader boards, high-definition graphics and other features and is available exclusively on Xbox Live Arcade. Available now for 800 Microsoft Points, Heavy Weapon can be played in trial mode prior to purchase.
"Our goal with Heavy Weapon was to make a game in the vein of the old collaborative-style arcade games like Ikari Warriors, where you and a friend could play together as a team, just enjoying the visceral sensation of blowing lots of stuff up," said Jason Kapalka, Chief Creative Officer at PopCap. "We spent a lot of time revamping Heavy Weapon for Xbox Live Arcade, and I think it shows; the game plays and looks better, and works beautifully with the Xbox 360 controller. We haven't been able to stop playing the beta version here in our offices, so it should be well received by the XBLA masses!"
"PopCap has done it again with Heavy Weapon – delivering classic arcade-style action with a sense of humor and a deep understanding of what makes a game truly fun," said Greg Canessa, GM of Xbox Live Arcade at Microsoft. "Heavy Weapon is perfect for our audience: it's simple enough for even the novice player to enjoy immediately while also offering the most inveterate gamer plenty of action and excitement. And the multiplayer modes in the new version make Heavy Weapon different every time you play with friends, whether over Xbox Live or in person."
Heavy Weapon is a side-scrolling action game in which the player strives to defeat hordes of enemy armies in the form of tanks, jeeps, fighter jets, helicopters and other land and air vehicles. Power-ups and secret weapons that provide additional speed, shields, firepower and more help the player overcome increasingly nasty enemy forces and bosses while progressing through levels representing the oppressed (fictitious) countries over which the war is being waged. Multiplayer functionality exclusively available for the XBLA version of the game enables players to join with up to two friends in Mission mode or three friends in a Survival game, locally or on the Live Arcade service.
Heavy Weapon for Xbox Live Arcade includes the following enhanced features and functionality:
- Three action-packed game modes:
- Mission – play your way thru 19 exciting missions, invading countries and beating challenging bosses along the way
- Survival, Arms Race and War Party – How long can you last against ever-increasing waves of enemies?
- Boss Rush – exclusive to Xbox Live Arcade, challenge all the bosses of Heavy Weapon in succession!
- Intense multiplayer action with up to 4 players! – exclusive to Xbox Live Arcade:
- Play Survival games with up to four friends, locally or on Xbox Live
- Roll over Red Star forces with a friend in co-op Mission mode
- 6 upgradeable secret weapons
- 19 missions with nukes, mega-lasers, and more
- Voice chat with your friends while battling together online
- Online leaderboards let you track your result
- Enhanced sound effects and original music
- Amazing enemy landscapes and graphics
- Expanded mayhem with full high-definition widescreen support
PopCap Games (www.popcap.com) is the leading multi-platform provider of "casual games" – easy-to-play yet utterly entertaining and engaging brain food enjoyed by players young and old, male and female. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000, and has approximately 100 employees in its Seattle, San Francisco and Dublin offices. PopCap's games have been downloaded more than 200 million times by consumers world-wide, and its flagship title Bejeweled has sold more than 10 million units across all platforms. PopCap games are available for Web, PC, Mac, mobile phones, PalmOS and Windows Mobile PDAs, Xbox Live Arcade, iPods, in-flight on leading airlines, as scratch-off lottery tickets, and more. PopCap is the only casual games developer with leading market share across all major channels, including web portals, mobile phones, Xbox 360, retail, and PDA.