FOSTER CITY, Calif., July 25, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment America today announced that the first “Greatest Hits” for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system are now available. PSP owners can pick up five of the most popular first-party titles – Ape Escape: On the Loose, ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Twisted Metal: Head On, or Wipeout Pure – for $19.99 SRP.
With more than 5 million units sold, the PSP system remains North America’s top-selling next-generation handheld in the period since its record-setting launch in March 2005. These first “Greatest Hits” games defined the PSP experience at launch and have contributed to the overall success of the system.
“The PSP system has truly arrived with the launch of its ‘Greatest Hits’ collection, which we expect will drive consumer interest in the device and strong hardware growth, just as the ‘Greatest Hits’ programs have done for other PlayStation platforms,” said Peter Dille, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “Summer is typically the industry’s lightest season for new titles, so releasing the PSP ‘Greatest Hits’ now benefits many consumers who find themselves with more downtime, whether they’re on a plane headed on a vacation or simply trying to beat the heat at home.”
Later this year, additional third-party games will go “Greatest Hits,” including Lumines™, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, Star Wars Battlefront™ II, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, and Untold Legends™: Brotherhood of the Blade™.
About the “Greatest Hits” Titles:
- Ape Escape: On The Loose is the introduction of the popular Ape Escape series onto the PSP system. Entertaining for gamers of all types, Ape Escape: On The Loose features multiplayer functionality and a wide variety of mini-games for players of all ages. This imaginative game provides players the challenge of capturing more than 200 monkeys in eight vibrant worlds spanning more than 20 levels in order to prevent them from changing history! Rating: “E” for Everyone
- ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin’ Trails is an intense, free-roaming, off-road racing game that players can take anytime, anywhere. Supporting up to four players via wireless multiplayer connectivity, riders can choose from more than 24 highly detailed ATVs as they tear it up on more than 30 unique environments with six distinct terrain types including snow, dirt, mud, ice, water and grass. ATV Offroad Fury Blazin’ Trails provides gamers several gameplay options including a training course, and competitions in several race modes such as race, freestyle, career or any of the various mini-games. Rating: “E” for Everyone
- Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, part of themultimillion-unit-selling Hot Shots Golf franchise, features six all-new courses and an all-new character customization feature that includes over 250 customizable body parts, accessories, clubs and balls. Also, as virtual golfers spend more time on the greens, they will improve their character’s experience and abilities. Now, with the advent of wireless multiplayer connectivity, gamers can get their virtual tee times and play anywhere, anytime, including two-person matches, eight-person tournaments and two-person miniature golf rounds. Rating: “E 10+” for Everyone, ages 10 and up
- Twisted Metal: Head-On, built from the ground up by Incognito Entertainment,the pioneers of the car-combat genre, allows gamers to take destruction anywhere, anytime. Supporting up to six players via wireless multiplayer connectivity, gamers can go head-to-head or compete against AI vehicles and deliver the devastation as they strap themselves into one of 14 lethal machines on wheels equipped with machine guns, turbo boosts and special attacks unique to each vehicle. Once a vehicle is selected, gamers can take their road rage out on opponents in 12 unworldly destructible arenas. Rating: “T” for Teen
- Wipeout Pure provides an intense, combat racing experience as players choose from five different speed classes and race relentlessly around 16 futuristic, racing tracks. Supporting up to eight players via a Wi-Fi link for multiplayer gameplay, gamers will be able to take on their friends and attempt to blast enemy ships to pieces in a fierce competition for top racing honors. Fresh downloadable content, including new tracks, ships, skins, and music, can be downloaded to a Memory Stick Duo to expand the racing experience and allow for personalization of the game. Rating: “E” for Everyone
About the PSP system
The PSP is the first truly integrated handheld entertainment system designed to handle multiple applications — music, video, photo, Internet, and wireless connectivity, with games as its primary driver. The PSP system features an unmatched library of entertainment content, combining more than 120 games and more than 350 feature films, TV programs, and videos from major studios and record labels as well as downloadable content from the Internet.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation and PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system and the upcoming, much-anticipated PLAYSTATION 3 system.
Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.